It’s Time To Get Out The Vote!
Now that voter registration deadlines have mostly passed, it’s time to make sure that everyone who is registered is motivated to get out and vote. There is a lot at stake in this election with issues like the economy, women’s rights, marriage equality & same sex laws, climate change and immigration playing a huge role. In this post you will find featured links and actions for each of these issues, which we have compiled to help artists encourage and motivate fans to go vote.
CREATE A VOTER GUIDE FOR YOUR FANS & FRIENDS
November6th.org allows anyone with a Facebook profile/page to create a customized voter guide promoting ballot measures and candidates from coast-to-coast. These voter guides can be personalized with images, colors, and text to fit the unique style or brand of an artist. The Bus Federation, who built the site, is available to help artists customize a guide and to find info on measures or candidates who fit their values.
To quote Bill Clinton, “It’s about the economy, stupid!” The debates and coverage of the election have focused extensively on jobs and housing. Learn more about what artists can do on the issue here: http://bit.ly/RhCY5Y. Here is some sample language for social media:
- In what is called the ‘Economy Election’, the winner could be decided based on job markets in key battleground states: http://nbcnews.to/Rb0KwF #GoVote
- 15 million homes are underwater. #vote4homes #GoVote. http://bit.ly/X3tmfh
MARRIAGE EQUALITY & SAME-SEX ISSUES
- This Nov — 3 states (ME, MD, WA) could win #marriageequality & a fourth (MN) could ban it. @TheFour2012 http://bit.ly/Sy4s8l #GoVote
- PLS WATCH & SHARE: @macklemore + @ryanlewis poignant new video for #SameLove @Music4MEquality http://bit.ly/Tt8Nt0 #GoVote
- The Election Center @HRC has all of the tools you need to take action for equality this election season http://bit.ly/ROa9K8 #GoVote
- Women decide elections. In every election since 1964, women have outvoted men. In 2008, 10 mil more women voted http://bit.ly/QKPe9z #GoVote
- What’s your top issue in this election? Women in swing states say abortion is the top women’s issue. http://bit.ly/SdIh2B #GoVote
- US women make an average of 72 cents for every $1 a man makes. Find the breakdown in yr state or county here: http://slate.me/Tgs4OO #GoVote
- Nominees tackled immigration at last week’s Town hall debate. Check out CNN’s reality check on their responses: http://bit.ly/Tkz7WH #GoVote
- Studies on immigration + economy show that immigrants have a positive impact on the economy over the long run http://nyti.ms/S93SuQ #GoVote
Another critical issue in this election is climate change and the environment. The Presidential candidates have very different approaches to the issue and some states have environmental issues on the ballot. Here is some sample social media language to help your fans understand what is at stake:
- 61% of Undecided Voters Say Climate Change is a Factor to Their Decision in Next Election http://huff.to/O0HKTh #GoVote
- Is Climate Change the Sleeper Issue of the 2012 Election? New polling data shows swing voters are going green http://bit.ly/ScKxJe #GoVote
- Seminal Study Finds ‘Climate-Change Footprint’ In N. America ‘Continent W/ The Largest Increases in Disasters’ http://bit.ly/TqJ5Ga #GoVote
- Attn CA: Prop 37 is simple – requires companies to add #GMO info to labels by 2014 http://bit.ly/PWmo8I #YesOn37 @CARightToKnow #GoVote
- This @natpriorities guide says the fed govt spends only 2% of budget on education. More on candidates’ viewpts http://bit.ly/MHok6B #GoVote
- Not sure what else you can do about education besides voting 11/6? Donate to a school in need @donorschoose http://bit.ly/11QR2 #GoVote
TRICK or VOTE!
Here is some sample language for social media: